BIM TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATE
(formerly Computer Aided Drafter Certificate)
Digital School is leading the way in ensuring our graduates are well versed in Building Information Modeling (BIM), which brings disciplines together to communicate needs and changes to each other as seamlessly as possible, making every project run more effciently and cost-effective.
BIM Technicians work directly with designers, project managers and engineers to translate a concept into technical drawings that construction workers can build into a reality. Your career in design will support the entire building lifecycle including the concept/design, construction and operations/maintenance phases. The BIM Technician certificate program is available as a six-month, full-time program either in-class or online or as a twelve-month, part-time program online.
What Will You Learn in the BIM Technician Program?
In just six to twelve months, Digital School’s comprehensive program equips you with the creative and applied skills you need to transform your career in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industry:
- Utilize rapidly advancing BIM software such as Revit, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Navisworks, FormIt, BIM360, and more for multidisciplinary design projects
- Understand BIM concepts, technologies, processes, and application throughout the building lifecycle
- Learn and apply 2D and 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD) skills
- Apply the practices and procedures of surveying, including developing plans, cross-sectional views, and contour maps
- Produce and modify 3D models from sketches, mark-ups and designs as required by the project team
- Understand the needs and requirements of various BIM stakeholders including architects, contractors, the owners team, and MEP & structural engineers
Embracing BIM for Education
BIM (Building Information Modeling) is a 3D model-based process that gives design and construction professionals the insight and tools to more efficiently plan, design, construct and manage buildings. BIM is revolutionizing the Architecture, Engineering and Construction industry, a shift similar to the evolution from hand drafting to Computer Aided Design (CAD).
Governments around the world are mandating BIM processes for projects, and it is quickly becoming the standard for private architecture, engineering, and construction firms as they reap the benefits of communication, coordination, and collaboration with BIM.
Digital School is committed to exposing learners to the value of BIM and developing appropriate skills as they progress through our programs. We take this approach to ensure our graduates are successful in delivering the type of final output required of building owners, operators and AEC managers.
What Career Paths Can You Follow After Graduation?
Students who earn the BIM Technician certificate can choose from a variety of career paths. Professional architects, engineers, project managers, and technologists rely on skilled technicians to help them produce and communicate design data in a range of work environments, including:
- Engineering firms
- Architectural offices
- BIM and CAD specific workgroups
- Homebuilders and construction companies
- Engineering consultants (municipal, provincial and federal)
When Can I Start The Program?
Our programs are continuous intake, offering great flexibility for students. The certificate is available in three delivery methods:
- Full-time in-class program (6 months)
- Full-time online program (6 months)
- Part-time online program (12 months)
Contact Digital School Today
Digital School’s Admissions Advisors are available to meet with you one-on-one to assist you in planning your journey to a new career. They can provide you with all of the information on admission requirements, tuition fees, start dates, and funding applications, and will provide you with a free Career Consultation to help you select the training path for a career that is right for you.